On 2nd April World Autism Awareness Day seeks to shine an even brighter light on Autism. Increasing awareness is essential to early diagnosis, creating more employment opportunities and providing appropriate support.
A few weeks ago, Karen Wilmshurst from the The Wessex Autistic Society came to Broadstone and ran an Aspergers Syndrome Awareness Workshop for Broadstone Troop. She explained what the condition was about, what people with the condition went through and what the Scouts could do to help those with it.
Karen also explained that those who have Aspergers Syndrome can also be very cleaver in certain areas and in fact many famous and cleaver people have been known to have the condition. Great examples of this are…
- Bill Gates – Founder of Microsoft and entrepreneur.
- Isaac Newton - Physicist, mathematician, astronomer, theologian, natural philosopher, and alchemist.
- Jane Austen – Successful novelist.
- Albert Einstein - Nobel Prize winning physicist.
- Satoshi Tajiri – Founder of Pokemon.
- Jim Henson – Creator of the Muppets.
And many, many more!
Many thanks to Karen for giving up her time to come and talk to our Scouts and if you’d like to find out more about World Autism Awareness Day, Aspergers Syndrome or Autism in general, check out the Wessex Autistic Society Website!